The official start of summer has most people relishing the hot temperatures and beach vacations. Lucy Garcia Planck, New York City Hairstylist at John Barret Salon stresses simple adjustments to hair-care routines during the warmer months to mitigate hair damage.
Below are Lucy’s top five tips to protect hair from potential summer heat damage:
- Mend Hair Damage with Split End Sealer: It’s important to keep hair as moist as possible. Air-conditioned spaces are a sure-found way to zap the moisture out of hair. Combat split ends with just a teaspoon of coconut oil- begin at the ends and spread up to the root; leave in for about an hour and then shampoo. The coconut oil will help keep hair hydrated, silky and shiny.
- Biotin Supplements: Taking a supplement with biotin year-round can help maintain a strong, healthy glow to the hair and helps with split ends. vitafusion Gorgeous Hair, Skin and Nails is a great-tasting gummy multivitamin containing 12 key nutrients, including Biotin and Vitamins C and E to help nourish beautiful hair, skin, and nails from the inside out.
- Cold Water Rinse: After shampooing, use a cold-water rinse to close-up the cuticle and keep hair shiny. Not only does it feel good after a long day out at the beach, but the cold water really helps to maintain healthy hair.
- Tame Frizz with Coconut Milk Leave-in Conditioner: The natural oils, vitamins, and minerals that coconuts contain help to keep frizz in check. A leave-in conditioner such as Kerastase also protects the hair from a blow-dryer or other styling tools. Use a dime-sized amount of leave-in conditioner and work throughout your hair, paying special attention to the ends.
- Soften dry hair with an avocado mask: Avocado has fatty acids that make hair soft. Make an at-home paste with avocado and coconut oil- using 2 teaspoons of avocado (mashed) or in a blender and 1 tsp of coconut oil. Warm up the paste and leave it in the hair for 30-60 minutes. Start at the top of the roots and work down to the ends. These “masks” leave hair very shiny and silky don’t require a visit to the salon.